Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Waterless + Powerless = Adventurous

Tanga has been having severe public utilities problems lately. This is unusual for the city, so it has been the talk of the town. We had a major water outage as a result of a power failure somewhere near the source that lasted almost a full day and have been having multiple power outages every week.

Yesterday I was taking a bath out of a bucket due to a lack of running water. I have developed a system for this process and consider myself to be quite the expert at this point. This involves applying shampoo and soap simultaneously so as to maximize the effectiveness of the water.

In any case, just as I was finishing shampooing my hair, the power cut out. It was 8pm and there was absolutely no light to be had. I stood there in the dark for a few minutes before I began laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. I pulled myself together, realized that I had everything I needed to finish taking my shower, dry off, and get dressed without too much trouble. I’m just glad it happened during week 6 instead of week 1!

No comments:

Post a Comment