Tanzania Slide Show

Thursday, February 11, 2010

More Fun in Tanga

Dear Blog,

I am having the time of my life here in Tanga. Yesterday I went to school and taught “If you’re happy and you know it clap your hands” and then substitute taught for 1st graders in Kiswahili. I was literally thrown in with 63 first graders and told to have them all recite “ba / be / be / bo / bu ; cha / che / chi / cho / chu etc….,” have them write it in their notebooks, and then correct it. Luckily I have enough vocabulary now to say “be quiet,” “sit down,” “this is correc,t” “this is wrong,” “repeat,” and “tell me what this says.”

After an exhausting school day I came home and had lunch with my host brother and sister (Gilbert and Susan) who are now in the picture slideshow above. We then went to play soccer with the locals at the beach and go swimming in the Indian Ocean. It was amazing.

While I have been fairly outgoing and willing to try and eat/do/see almost anything, my stomach has unfortunately been less adventurous….After 3 days of upset stomach and far too much time in the bathroom instead of in the classroom, I finally have given in and started taking Imodium. I did make the mistake of telling my host mom about it, and now the entire town knows that I’m sick. Excellent.

~Chelsea

1 comment:

  1. gggoooaalll!
    Sounds like a *blast*!
    So glad to hear it.

    Cheers to all,
    Pilar, in piles of snowland

    ReplyDelete