Tanzania Slide Show

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Progress

Now that my youngest host brother is home, my Kiswahili is improving significantly. He and his cousin take me out on various adventures and we practice words in Kiswahili. Then when I come home I pull out my notebook and draw a picture of whatever we learned. They then help me fill in the words…and voila!

We have created quite the artbook so far…and have really established quite a base. I can talk about eating in a reasonable capacity, name various plants, fruits, and animals as well as tell the date and time. I have also spent a few hours after school working with two teachers on congugating various verbs. I understand the basic framework of the present tense now, and am starting to grasp the past tense.

Besides these lessons, I’ve also been teaching myself with my small dictionary and phrasebook. Who/What/Where/When/Why have become my best friends….as well as I do or don’t understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment