Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Religious Parade

My Swahili tutor, the seventy-three year old retired teacher, goes to church almost every day and is very involved with their singing group. She’s been especially busy at the church this past week, since Friday was a major religious event for the churches in Tanga.

Apparently every year, the women from four local churches of different denominations come together to pray. This year, the service was held at the church that is nearest to my home. I was invited to go, but couldn’t attend do to a scheduling conflict. However, I got to see the parade of women as they walked past on their way to church. They were all wearing the same vitenge (piece of cloth wrapped around their waists as a skirt) and singing as they passed by. I was able to take a short video of the parade for your listening pleasure, which is posted below.

No comments:

Post a Comment