Tanzania Slide Show

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Language Lessons

From what I have gathered so far, people in Tanzania speak their tribal language, Kiswahili, and English. In schools, children are first taught in Swahili, and then switch to English in secondary school. While I should be able to navigate the country with just English, the children I will be working with will all be learning in Swahili! That, plus the fact that the Tanzanian people really appreciate when foreigners make an effort at Swahili, means that Rosetta Stone has been my best friend lately. Over the course of my stay I hope to share some fun Swahili words with everyone. For practice, our first lesson will be about the Lion King....

Simba: Lion
Rafiki: Friend
Asante Sana, Squashed Banana: Thank you very much, squashed banana
Hakuna: Without
Matata: Problems/Worries
Hakuna Matata: A problem-free philosphy!

1 comment:

  1. What about "I'm leaving tomorrow." and "Don't worry...." :)

    ReplyDelete