Tanzania Slide Show

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Technology in Tanzania

Determining what technology to bring has been quite a topic of research and conversation....My dad spoke with a customer service rep at Verizon who suggested that I take a Blackberry Tour because I could instant message (Windows Live Messenger, Gchat, AIM) everyone in the States for free. It turns out that isn't true -- each message I send from Tanzania would cost $0.50 and each one I receive would cost $0.05. Given that phone calls, whether to a person right down the street or thousands of miles away, cost $3.99 a minute, pretty much the only perk of the Blackberry is the unlimited emailing and internet access....for a not-so-low monthly rate. All of this plus the calculated hassle of having the phone lost or stolen meant that phone was sent back to Verizon yesterday. I'm just going to wait until I get to Tanzania to buy one of their local phones.

In terms of other technology, I have a camera, a flipcamera for videos, and a small computer with a video camera for skyping. Other than that -- internet cafes! I'm really hoping there will be enough time/resources to keep everyone posted...

1 comment:

  1. Ooooooh, you're going to be on Skype. Awesome! We'll have skype dates then :)

    ReplyDelete