Tanzania Slide Show

Monday, February 22, 2010

Laundry

So far, I have come across no washing machines or driers in Tanzania. Just buckets, soap, and clothes lines.

Currently, the deal I have with my host-mom is that she washes all of my clothes, and I am responsible for washing my “underpants.” I’m currently feeling a little guilty about this set up….but I also feel completely incompetent at washing my clothes by hand…..so hopefully we’ll find some time for me to really learn how to do it.

Almost everything comes out completely wrinkled (and also very stiff and starchy) so everything must also be ironed.

Overall, a very labor-intensive process….and feels kind of strange having access to so much technology (computers, modems, cell phones, PS2s) but having absolutely no washers or dryers as far as I’ve been able to gather.

No comments:

Post a Comment