Tanzania Slide Show

Monday, February 22, 2010

Showers and Water

I have a shower in my very big bathroom. When I first got here, I was very conscious about conserving water and would take a short shower once a day or maybe every other day.

As it turns out, I am expected to take a minimum of THREE showers a day. My host mom keeps telling me that not taking a shower will make me tired (although I don’t really understand why). But the people here are by and large very keen on cleanliness, and showers are a definite must.

Interestingly, however, there have been some significant water issues lately. Tanga is a coastal city, and according to my host father has not had water shortages in years. However, since I’ve been here, the water stops working at least once a day for a good couple of hours. This is so unusual that my host father doesn’t have an extra water tank installed at his Tanga home…..but he is now beginning to reconsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment