Tanzania Slide Show

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sunscreen

Coppertone Sport is my brand of sport, and I have been religiously applying sunscreen thanks to their new, Continuous, clear, no-rub, ultra sweatproof, breatheable, 50 SPF bottles. However, supplies are running low, and an instinct to conserve these precious bottles combined with an inability to refuse kids who want to play soccer under the full blast of the mid-day sun, has led to my first significant sunburn. It has also reminded me, that I am going to need to obtain more bottles.

The thought occurred to me, the other day….that I am just about the only white person (that I have seen) here in Tanga. The chances of me finding a bottle of sunscreen, I wagered are probably slim to none.

So….If I were a bottle of sunscreen in Tanzania, where would I be? Where all the silly, white, mzungu, tourists are that are willing to spend a fortune to buy a small bottle of sunscreen, of course!

Lucky for me, my host father was in Dar es Salam this week….so I gave him a call…..and he was easily able to locate and purchase a new bottle of 50+ SPF sunscreen for me.

I must say….the phone conversation trying to explain what sunscreen is….and how it’s rated etc. was rather hilarious……..until he read me the price of the small bottles……a whopping $24.

No comments:

Post a Comment