Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Basketball Hoop

Halifa is leaving to continue his studies today, and was in a big rush on Thursday of last week to help me get the basketball hoops up. He took me to a welder at the end of the day on Thursday, and made our best guess at the dimensions. We made it exactly half an inch bigger than the largest basketball at the school.

When Skyping with my friend from school later that night, I was informed that the hoop should actually be significantly bigger than the ball itself. In fact, it’s supposed to be 18” in diameter. I was pretty bummed about this….but I cheered up when she pointed out that they’ll just get really accurate!

To compensate for my mistake, I think that we are going to set up the small hoops for grades 1 – 4 in the Kindergarten classroom that is under construction and play with the smaller basketball. I’ll go back to the welding shop with Deborah, who leads the sports programs here, and get the appropriate sized hoop for the older kids and try and set up a “proper pitch” for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment