Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pre-Church Troubles

After a full day of fun in the sun, I went to sleep early last night and, for once, didn’t set an alarm. At 9:30am I woke up, turned off the AC, and switched to the fan. Within five minutes, the power went out and a series of bangs started going off that almost shook the house. A little frightened, I went outside to determine the source of the noise…..discovering, with relief, that it was just thunder (but impressive thunder at that).

My host brother James reassured me, and then told me he had a surprise to show me. I closed my eyes as he led me outside….only to open them and see Victoria’s car smashed into the guard rail in front of where she parks her car….totally mangled.

Apparently on her way to Church this morning, her three point turn out of the driveway went wildly wrong. I briefly entertained the idea that Toyota’s recent news popularity might have had something to do with it…..but it seems that her description is more reflective of panicking than anything else. Anyway, she felt horrible about it and was quite shaken up….the fact that the driveway is about three feet above the garden below makes it quite a relief that the guardrail kept her from going over the edge.

My host father was apparently took it all quite well. He has full insurance on the car, so he just took a deep breath and went to church….deciding not to make a big deal out of the situation. When he got back, he poked his head in the room to say good morning, and told me he was going to disappear for a few hours.

Apparently, the insurance company requires a police report to file a claim. The police department, however, is quite corrupt. If my host mom and her son are there, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. But if Godfrey were to stick around….their palms would most likely require some grease.

Of course, two hours later my host brother ran into the house looking for his mom’s wallet. I wonder what that was about….

1 comment:

  1. Amazing reading, all of this Chelsea! Thank you so much for posting. Word is spreading about your blog at Key School, so hopefully more will be reading (and commenting) soon, including other students. Keep up the good work with the soccer, and the math, and the fence climbing, etc! ;-)

    ReplyDelete