Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chelsea's Garden

Victoria is interested in the “environment” at Chumbageni, and is also interested in trying to increase the green spaces at the school. She has said she wants to try and set up the irrigation materials sent by the 6th grade science teacher at Key School (Mr. Waymouth) and is frequently helping the children water the plants at school.

Last week, Victoria asked if I would like to get a plant for Chumageni for everyone to remember me by. While I was a little thrown by the concept of buying a tree for myself for everyone there to remember me by, I was touched by the thought and said it would be a great idea.

We went to the flower shop a few days later to buy the flowers, and bought 3 pink plants and 5 smaller green plants. The price was hiked up very high because I was there, but I was able to bargain with a guy a bit and he threw in an extra plant at the end.

The next day, I came to school and Victoria had already gotten to work with her 4th grade class planting the plants. They had saved one for me near the entrance of the school, and a few students and I got to work.

As a side note: There is a difference between a key garden (which exists) and The Key Garden (which doesn’t yet exist…or does now that we planted those few plants at the school). A key garden has to do with composting and is just a bunch of white rocks around it. It isn’t very pretty, or garden like…..and therefore should not be equated with the Somer’s Park Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment