Tanzania Slide Show

Thursday, March 4, 2010

No Book, No Co, No Problem!

Last night I sat down with Victoria to prepare a math lesson for the third grade class. The math teacher was going to be absent the next day and asked me and one of the teachers-in-training who works at the school to step in for her. I felt comfortable with the lesson - subtraction with numbers in the thousands – so I agreed.

When I arrived at school today, the teacher-in-training was nowhere to be found, nor was the workbook with the exercises in it. I sent a student to go track down my co and/or the book, but she was unsuccessful.

Here goes nothing! I couldn’t waste more time trying to find the book, leaving all 50+ kids to wait idly for me to return, so I decided to get to work. Thankfully the third graders were well behaved and listened attentively as I wrote math problems on the board. I had a few students come up to the board to read and solve the problems, and then gave them a few to solve independently. When they finished, I had them hand in their exercises for me to grade after class, and switched over to a game of hangman as we waited for the stragglers to finish up. A pretty good finish for a very shaky start!

1 comment:

  1. Chelsea - that happened to me just the other day at Key when I went to grab a book off the shelf for my class and realized it had been checked out by mistake! It sounds like you handled it perfectly. It is really a treat to read about all your experiences. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete