Tanzania Slide Show

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Perfect Pineapples

When we still had a car to drive to school with, we used to stop at a pineapple stand on the side of the road on our way home after school. Victoria is very good about introducing me to everyone, so when she was excitedly pointing, “Look at the twins!” I would never have guessed she was talking about the conjoined pineapples that are featured in the slideshow above.

On the same pineappley note, the first day I arrived I saw Victoria peeling a pineapple like an apple. This inevitably left many little brown eyes behind, which she spent a good twenty minutes carving out with the tip of her knife. Hesitant to correct the African community on their pineapple pealing methods but confident in my dad’s tried and true pineapple cutting methods, I offered to show her a way to cut the pineapple without leaving behind the eyes. I cut off the ends, sliced it into quarters, and then sliced the meat away from the skin before cutting each pineapple log into perfect fan-like pieces. Problem solved. Victoria was so impressed that she has been informing all of her friends about the way Americans like to cut their pineapples.

No comments:

Post a Comment