Tanzania Slide Show

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Tutor

Teacher Eva is a seventy-three year old woman who is about five feet tall with piercing blue eyes and skin as dark as night. She taught in primary schools for years, but is now retired and works as a tutor for all ages helping students learn how to read and write.

Per my request for a tutor, Mwalimu Eva comes over for an hour Monday through Friday at 6:30 to help me learn Kiswahili. She was very surprised that I could read and write in Swahili (even though the alphabet is practically the same, and everything in Kiswahili is phonetic) but is thrilled to have such a capable and motivated student. We are still working to find the appropriate materials for her to teach me with, but I am very much enjoying getting to know my new teacher, and making her laugh.

Unfortunately, our daily 6:30 sessions tend to conflict with other events, and I have already had to cancel on her once. The next day, she asked Victoria if she had done something wrong or if I didn’t like her or something……but thankfully Victoria assured her that dinner at Halifa’s was very important and couldn’t be moved since he is leaving this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment