Tanzania Slide Show

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Twiga, Twiga, Simba

The Kindergarten teacher loves to put me on the spot by asking me to teach the kids new songs or games with little to no warning. While I have exhausted all of my Kindergarten level songs, I still had Duck, Duck, Goose! up my sleeve when she asked me to teach the kids something new.

Since the Swahili language does not have words to differentiate airplanes from birds, I figured that the subcategories of birds that are necessary in understanding this game may not make for the easiest explanation.

I decided, instead, to make a more Swahili and geographically appropriate game by renaming it “Twiga, Twiga, Simba!” or “Giraffe, Giraffe, Lion!” We moved all of the desks to the sides of the room and made a huge circle of 58 students. The stew pot was also a bit hard to explain, so we just tossed them all into the middle if they got tagged on their ½ mile run back to their safe seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment