Tanzania Slide Show

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Babu Ali

One of my little friends at Chumbageni is named Babu, which means “grandfather” in Kiswahili. I didn’t recognize him when he showed up at soccer practice yesterday because he was wearing traditional Muslim attire instead of his school uniform. He also had a workbook with him written entirely in Arabic. He read a few pages to me, and I was very impressed! If only he could read as well in Swahili!

Many kids had these books with them at the game, so I assume that they are all attending the equivalent of Hebrew School or Sunday School, but I’ll have to ask more about this. I apparently forgot that the students all have lives outside of school, making it so refreshing to get a small snapshot of what they do after the bell rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment