Tanzania Slide Show

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Shopping for Soccer Stuff

I have a soccer game tomorrow and am very much looking forward to playing with the Veteran Team. The only problem is that I have no equipment, since I stupidly decided at the last minute to leave it all at home.

Not to worry, though! I told my host-brother my predicament and he took me into town to get what I needed. First we went to a small store with everything from toenail clippers to cookware to get shin guards and soccer socks. The shin guards all have the logos of teams from the European leagues. Unfortunately Chelsea was not an option, so I settled for Manchester United shin guards. I also don’t know what color our uniforms are so I had trouble picking out socks. I was going to go with white until I remembered that my host mom has a fit every time I come home filthy, so I decided to go with a dark blue instead.

Next stop: a second-hand store to find a pair of cleats. Unfortunately I was gifted with the smallest adult feet that anyone seems to have ever seen before….so I had to settle for a size 7.5 pair of cleats instead of my usual 5.5 or 6. I doubt that the extra wiggle room will do anything to help my current blister situation, but a tissue stuffing party might just do the trick.

Grand total? 38,000 Tanzanian Shillings.

No comments:

Post a Comment