Tanzania Slide Show

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Mr. Mighty Kileo

This week I got to meet the man initially responsible for setting up the CHUMS Partnership, Mr. Mighty Kileo. While he only had time for a short visit to Chumbageni this week, it was interesting to hear about his vision for intercontinental partnerships. He told me that he originally intended to expand to other countries as well, but switched to a different school before this was possible.

Mr. Kileo also invited me to visit his new school this past Friday. However, due to a scheduling conflict, he was not available when I arrived. I will likely go back to the school next week when he has more time, but it was very interesting to see another primary school in Tanga. A lot is the same: the uniforms, the teachers sitting at tables outside grading exercise books, the teachers-in-training wearing maroon trousers, the classrooms, and the general environment. Interestingly, however, this school is placed right next to one of the biggest high-security prisons in Tanzania, which is not something I’d ever imagine seeing back home. More to follow next week when I actually get an official tour of the school…

No comments:

Post a Comment